Our website would like to use cookies to store information on your computer. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work as a result. Find out more about how we use cookies.
25th Nov 2020 Login  
G59 - G83 Forms
by John Bown at 2008-09-04 17:20:10 (Ask an Expert)
I have been asked to source a generator that is compatable for G59 acceptance... I have never heard of this and would like to know if anyone can help me with some information about these forms...

G59 - G83 Forms

What are they for?

Where do I get these from?

Any information on these regulations will be useful


Mail this to a friend
G59 - G83 Forms John Bown - 2008-09-04 17:20:10
Re: G59 - G83 Forms Stuart - 2008-09-04 18:18:54

My electricity company supplied my G83 form. Have you spoken to yours?

Re: G59 - G83 Forms Stuart - 2008-09-04 18:23:25
you may want to look at this as well - http://www.renew-reuse-recycle.com/showarticle.pl?id=204
Re: G59 - G83 Forms Simon Ridout - 2008-09-05 14:48:11

You do not say what sort of generator you are sourcing, wind, water or other. You really need to talk to an experienced installer, who is used to dealing with the electrical distribution company. You do not say who your distribution company is. The problem with higher output generators, i.e. those exceeding the G83 limits is that they can overload the local distribution network. I had to have my transformer 'tapped down' to accept a 6kw output, single phase on G83 authorisation, at my expense. usually this is only a problem if the transformer, from the 11000volt distribution to your house (or a group of houses) has been 'tapped up' well above 240 volts, particularly if it is up at 253 volts, when it does not allow enough 'room' for the generator to feed in withoutgoing above 260 volts when there has to be an overvoltage disconnection from the mains.

If anyone asks me how to get started with installing a grid tied generator, I will say first talk to an experienced installer an the power distribution company. If you let us know where you are, I am sure that someone will be able to advise on a good local installer.

Re: G59 - G83 Forms Colin - 2008-09-05 23:24:41
G83 covered generation up to 16A per phase, about 3.6kW, so if you wanted to pop a 5kW generation facility on a single phase supply you'd technically go beyond G83 into G59 territory.

However, if you're just over the limit, many DNO's will allow an extended G83 connection but may charge for this or insist upon being present when your installer makes the final connection. If they insist on G59 then this requires prior authorisation.

G59 covers up to MW+ scale installations - in which case you would certainly need to do a full upstream network analysis via the DNO, at your expense. I'm assuming though you're talking microgen scale?

Re: G59 - G83 Forms Ted Marynicz - 2008-09-06 13:02:02
Any equipment you buy will need to be certified by the manufacturer as being suitable for connection under the terms of G59 (the same applies to G83). These are usually issued as type test certificates by a specialised test lab. If you mention G59 to a supplier and they don't know what you are talking about then find a different supplier! With wind turbines we are usually just talking about a certificate for the inverter.

You should talk to your DNO and electricity supply co. straight away to keep them in the picture. Be certain that your electricity supply co. will be willing to pay you for what you export - and how much - get it in writing. They will need to know what maximum output your system will be generating.

Also make sure you find out all about the specific metering demands. You may find that you will need a half-hourly (HH) meter which will be more expensive and have higher annual operating costs than a standard one.

All these issues have a direct impact on the financial viability of the project.


If you'd like to post comments on this site, just register here

Powered by Novacaster